Data Scientist Job Description & Responsibilities
This Data Scientist job description template is crafted to help you attract the most qualified candidates for your company. Make sure to customize it to your job opening by including requirements, benefits, and perks specific to the role and your company.
As a Data Scientist, you’ll be responsible for answering all data-related questions in a company or team. This requires you to be comfortable with statistical/mathematical reasoning, business communication/leadership, and programming.
You’ll often be tasked with leading data science projects from end to end. This includes data collection, statistical analysis, pattern recognition and insight communication to the team to impact the business.
What are the Data Scientist Responsibilities?
The data scientist job definition is no simple beast. It encircles multiple skills, tools and trades that you must be comfortable with.
First, you need to organize, clean and structure large datasets and extract actionable information and insights from them. Your job is to find innovative ways to recognize patterns that other can’t spot. This includes algorithm knowledge and programming skills to help you navigate through gigantic datasets.
To get to that point, you need to collect data from all kinds of different sources, including third-party web APIs, internal databases and more.
Finally, you need to be able to create meaningful data visualizations that communicate your insights and findings, and drive business goals.
Data Scientist Job Description Template
We’re looking for a Data Scientist to join the data team at Success Inc. This team is responsible for providing analytical support to our company, performing marketing analysis, identifying key trends and patterns and telling stories with data.
You excel at finding complex, unseen patterns in large data. You’ve synthesized diverse dataset and structured and unstructured data using heuristics, categorical predictive models, natural language processing, or machine learning methods.
You are also comfortable doing exploratory data analysis, navigating a dataset and identifying initial insights based on your first appraisal.
The ideal person for this role loves to collaborate with other data scientists, engineers, and business or operations experts to understand and address their data needs.
Data Scientist Requirements
- 2+ years of experience involving quantitative data analysis to solve problems.
- Degree in Applied Math, Computer Science, Economics, Statics or other quantitative field. PHD or MS preferred.
- Data-oriented personality and great communication skills.
- Good applied statistics skills, such as distributions, statistical testing, regression, etc.
- Experience with common data science toolkits, such as R, Weka, NumPy, MatLab, etc. Excellence in at least one of these is highly desirable
- Experience with data visualisation tools, such as D3.js, GGplot, etc.
- Proficiency in using query languages such as SQL, Hive, Pig.
- Experience with NoSQL databases, such as MongoDB, Cassandra, HBase.
Data Scientist Responsibilities
- Rapidly ingest data from a variety of sources, including internal databases encoded in SQL and APIs.
- Use statistical and econometric techniques on large datasets to:
- Mesure results and show key trends
- Identify causal impact and attribution
- Analyze experiments
- Model and predict future performance of users or products
- Assist teammates using the data: assemble analysis, predictions, visualizations, queries, and dashboards.
- Create meaningful visualizations that communicate your insights and findings, and drive business goals.
- Be the go to person for any ad-hoc data-related questions.