Paxos was founded in 2012 as the first institutional and regulated crypto-exchange, our founding team quickly realized there was an opportunity to establish ourselves as the trusted leader in digital assets. By creating regulated digital assets like our USD-backed stablecoin PAX, we’re giving customers the chance to process their financial transactions in safer, faster and more cost-effective ways. We’re also building solutions for some of the world’s best-known financial institutions to settle day-to-day transactions faster, cheaper and with the most modern technology. We believe the global financial system has relied too long on closed infrastructure and outdated technologies – it’s time for a change.
Our Compliance Team sits at the core of much of our daily operations, ensuring that trades and settlements on each of our platforms are legitimate, trustworthy, and reliable. Said another way, this is the team that is responsible for ensuring our products are not used by criminals and terrorists. We are planning for a period of rapid growth across our business and are looking to add a Director, Compliance to our New York City office.
Reporting to our Chief Compliance Officer, the Director, Compliance will oversee the day-to-day management of the function. This person will manage the team, help recruit new team members, and will add valuable strategic insight to our existing compliance processes. This is a Player/Coach position, and you will spend some of your time working directly with the team to identify bad behavior and high risk activity across all Paxos products.
What you will do:
- Lead the compliance team, providing daily guidance and support, and longer term career development to direct reports
- Work cross-functionally with Operations, Product, Engineering, Legal and other stakeholders to assess and address risks associated with existing products and potential new products
- Interface with regulators in the examination process, the product approval process, and on an ongoing basis
- Direct investigations and research on potentially suspicious clients using various internal and external systems and databases
- Lead the review/investigation process and preparation of case files with the required supporting documentation
- Advise senior management on next steps and provide recommendations on the next course of action (relationship retention, termination, Suspicious Activity Reporting (SAR))
- Manage risks by analyzing the root cause of issues and impacts to business
- Ensure that appropriate regulatory policies, procedures and controls are established, maintained and well-documented
- Develop and deliver training and communications on compliance policies and procedures to ensure proper understanding across the organization of regulatory related risks and responsibilities
- Own all ongoing compliance review processes, updating policies and procedures as needed, and to reflect industry best practices
- Assist with educating staff on compliance-related matters
- Manage vendor due diligence
What you need to have:
- A minimum of 10 years experience as a compliance professional
- 2-3 years of people management experience: you’ve grown and developed world-class teams
- Experience managing compliance programs at a rapidly growing, and international, company
- Experience designing and implementing transaction monitoring controls, including scenario optimization and testing
- Experience designing and implementing sanctions and screening controls
- Experience managing regulatory audits
- Comfort with ambiguity – capable of solving complex problems in a fast-paced environment
- CAMS, CFE, or equivalent certification is preferred
Other than these qualifications, we’re hoping to bring someone on board who loves what they do and can’t wait to join an amazing team.
Paxos is an equal opportunity employer. It does not discriminate on the basis of sex, age, color, race, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical and mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, veteran status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law.
Who we are: We are a diverse group of individuals with backgrounds and experience in banking, startups, tech giants, and big-five consulting firms. We currently have about 110 employees across offices in New York, London and Singapore and have big plans for our growth. We’re looking for collaborative, creative, hard-working and intellectually curious people to help us make our vision a reality.
Why we matter: Paxos is the only technology company building financial services solutions that both customers and regulators can trust. We’re committed to pushing the boundaries of technology while also working with important stakeholder groups so we can build a financial system that is open and accessible to anyone around the world.
Who are our customers: Our customers run the gamut from individuals seeking access to digital assets and those who don’t want to be tied to a physical banking system, to large institutions seeking to improve their settlement infrastructure. Some of our clients today include big names like Credit Suisse, Societe Generale, Macquaire, INTL FCStone and Virtu.
How we work: Paxos is driven by our four values. We believe that every Paxos employee is an owner, and employees consistently search for the truth in their work. We also believe in real-time candor and a shared commitment to excellence. These values are ingrained in everything we do and influence how we communicate and collaborate as an organization.
Why we are a great place to work: Paxos has been consistently named a Best Place to Work by BuiltIn. We offer all of the usual startup stuff like healthy snacks, coffee, and ping pong but we also offer generous healthcare coverage, PTO, and family leave. (We want employees to care for themselves both in and out of office.) In addition to the benefits and perks, Paxos offers employees the chance to have a real and measurable impact on a growing business: what you do today directly influences the Company goals. As a result, we enable every employee to substantially grow their careers.