Brave is on a mission to save privacy on the web. We make a web browser which protects privacy by blocking tracking by default, right out of the box. We offer completely private ads (opt-in!) as an alternative to the invasive surveillance online so that you can directly contribute to the sites you visit and appreciate.
Our roughly 100-person team orbits a “main” office of about 30 in San Francisco with smaller clusters or individual contributors spread around the world. Our work style combines an in-person culture in the SF office with remote-inclusive practices emphasizing live conversations by video call and fast and slow chat on Slack. Brave’s technical life is centered around GitHub, where we design, deliver, and document our work.
Brave is a start-up, and we have the ability to change plans quickly in response to new information or circumstances. This means that new needs can emerge on short notice, and projects are often re-mixed and adjusted in response to new input.
About the Role
Brave is looking for an experienced and engaging writer to join our marketing team in San Francisco, reporting to our Marketing Leader. We are looking for a wordsmith with a love of story-telling and distilling complex messages. Your work will include marketing messaging, website copy, and a variety of communication channels as well as in our products. These include our flagship web browser and our tools and platforms for content creators and advertisers.
You will show off the Brave voice, articulate our vision, and communicate our values. We’re looking for a seasoned writer and editor who can produce standalone blog posts, write email campaigns, and communicate with web content. You’ll also have plenty of occasion to edit and improve copy from others before it goes out to our wide audience.
We’d like someone who can quickly understand and synthesize detailed technical information, spanning the areas of online privacy, security and cryptocurrency. You should be able to write broadly understandable web content, blog posts, in-product text, and more. We’re looking for a writer who has an established ability to express difficult-to-grasp topics so that they’re understandable by a mainstream audience — while staying both accurate and concise. In this role, you’ll work as part of Brave’s marketing team, and in close alignment with Brave’s product, engineering, research, security, and design teams.
The writer we’re looking for has three central proficiencies which will enable them to produce the material we need.
Marketing. Your writing excites and engages. You can emphasize the value Brave provides and allow people to imagine how it’ll fit into and enrich their lives. Your language drives home a fundamental call to action without overwhelming readers with an aggressive hard sell.
Technical. You can explain convoluted and arcane technical designs in straightforward engaging language. Your technical explanations retain the precision and accuracy that technical readers expect. Those unfamiliar with the advanced details get an accurate overview without being intimidated or browbeaten. You have a general familiarity with the privacy, security, advertising, and web concepts at the core of the product.
Product. You — personally — appreciate the well-crafted and the thoughtfully-put-together. You get excited about the ins and outs of the things you use, both physical and digital. You might have experience with product work, design practice, or functional art projects.
- You are a great writer and editor.
- Can articulate the Brave mission and vision to the wider public.
- You can write accurately and engagingly about technical products like Brave.
- You can improve and turn around other people’s copy.
- You are broadly familiar with the technical and market spheres in which we operate.
You don’t need to have experience doing all of these things already. But you should be excited about getting to work on these sorts of projects.
- Working with the marketing team to craft our public facing messaging and copy.
- Manage and maintain a continuous stream of content emphasizing Brave’s features and benefits, blending your own writing with (edited) work from the product and engineering teams.
- Spearhead content creation for Brave’s web presence, coordinating with the design and operations teams. You focus on the words and ideas; design lays them out and illustrates; operations maintain & deploy.
- Compose emails to people who use Brave and related services. Some of these will be informative “Check out our new stuff!” and some functional “Your account has been approved…”
- Translate engineering-focused documentation and artifacts from GitHub wikis and issues, product specifications, and other uninspiring sources into clear and informative material which everyone finds easy to read.
This is a full time position based in our office in SOMA, San Francisco. Your compensation includes a competitive salary, comprehensive medical, vision, and dental benefits, as well as a generous 401(k) contribution. Working hours are flexible and a certain degree of working from home (or otherwise outside the office) is expected. Brave’s does not put a limit on the total amount of personal time off you take in a year, but expects that any particular vacation/recreation will be limited to two continuous weeks or less. We offer a pre-tax commuter benefit program and regular in-office lunches, coffee & tea, and a generous array of catered snacks.
Please submit a resume or CV along with a cover letter articulating your interest and experience. Please attach a selection of clips demonstrating your writing range and showing the work most relevant to this role. The application process for this position includes some take-home writing assignments and tests.