Aptos is a people-first blockchain on a mission to help billions of people achieve universal and fair access to decentralized assets in a safe and scalable way.
Founded by some of the original creators and maintainers that researched, designed, and built the Diem blockchain to serve this purpose, we have dedicated several years toward this mission. We believe the open-source Diem technology we have developed is an important foundation of a safe and scalable web3 world where everyone has more equitable opportunities to grow and access financial assets with lower fees and fewer intermediaries.
Aptos (Ohlone for “The People”) encompasses our mission and ethos for why we build.
About The Role
We are seeking a highly experienced and motivated Gaming Engineer to join our team in building the future of blockchain gaming. This is an exciting opportunity to work with a talented group of engineers, game developers, and external partners to create innovative and cutting-edge blockchain-based games.
As a Gaming Engineer at Aptos Labs, you will be responsible for identifying opportunities that make Web3 gaming feasible. This potentially includes designing and developing decentralized, peer-to-peer matchmaking systems on top of Aptos as well as designing, expanding, and improving our SDKs for the Aptos blockchain, working with external game development studios to integrate the technology into their games, and providing technical guidance and support. Most importantly, you will be at the critical section in the exploration of Web3 gaming working both in-house and with game studios to produce examples, demos, and other materials to showcase the capabilities of the Aptos blockchain.
You will also be responsible for ensuring high performance, stability, and scalability of the game systems, as well as researching and evaluating new technologies, trends, and best practices in the blockchain gaming space.
We are looking for a self-starter and someone with a strong drive who can thrive in a start-up environment.
What you’ll be doing:
- Exploring the challenges in Web3 gaming and then designing and building solutions
- Designing, expanding, and improving SDKs for the Aptos blockchain, working with external game development studios to integrate the technology into their games, and providing technical guidance and support
- Working with internal and external teams to produce examples, demos, and other materials to showcase the capabilities of the Aptos blockchain
- Collaborating with A, AA, and AAA gaming teams to create innovative and engaging gameplay experiences
- Identify opportunities for the broader Aptos engineering strategy for Web3 gaming.
- Understanding, using, and helping to drive core frameworks and standards forward to better support gaming use cases
- Helping external game developers optimize their games for the Aptos blockchain
- Researching and evaluating new technologies, trends, and best practices in the blockchain gaming space
- Actively participating in code reviews, design discussions, technical decisions, and partnership/investment discussions
- Staying current with industry trends and advancements in blockchain technology, and identifying opportunities to do things only possible on Aptos
What we’re looking for:
- 7+ years of experience in game development
- Strong experience in C++, C#, and other relevant programming languages
- Strong experience with both Unreal and/or Unity
- Experience with or interest in working with blockchain technology and smart contracts
- A solid understanding of game development best practices and experience with industry-standard tools and technologies
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and debugging skills
- Passion for games and blockchain technology, and a desire to push the boundaries of what is possible
- Experience in developing and integrating blockchain technology into games
- Experience with both Unreal and Unity
- Curiosity about emerging product practices and tools in the games industry
The base salary range for this full-time position is $160k – $260k. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and typical maximum target for new hire salaries for the position of a candidate based in the Bay Area at any level. We do hire exceptionally talented professionals with decades of experience in their field. As such, our range may be higher than what is displayed. Our base salary ranges are determined by experience and location, and we hire at all levels for multiple roles. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location, job-related skills demonstrated during the interviews, working experience, and relevant education or training. Please note that the compensation details listed in role postings reflect the base salary only and do not include equity, tokens, or benefits.
- 100% insurance premium coverage for medical, dental, and vision for you and your dependents
- Equipment of your choice
- Flexible vacation time, 11 holidays, and floating company days off
- Competitive Salary
- Equity (RSUs)
- Protocol Token Grants
- 401k matching
- Fun and inclusive in-person and digital events
Aptos is committed to diversity in the workplace, and we’re proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not hire on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, parental status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law. All employment is decided based on qualifications, merit, and business need.