We’re Coinbase. We’re the world’s most trusted way to join the crypto revolution, serving more than 89 million accounts in more than 100 countries.
Our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web 3.0 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener – because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
Coinbase is looking for a Head of Finance to provide detailed finance, reporting and accounting support for its regulated entities based in EMEA. The Head of Finance, EMEA provides effective financial leadership for Coinbase Ireland Ltd, Coinbase Payments Ltd and Coinbase Germany Gmbh (the “Coinbase EMEA entities”) to grow value responsibly, in a profitable and sustainable manner. With each respective entity’s CEO and other members of the management team, the Head of Finance fosters ethical and responsible decision making and robust management and corporate governance practices. The Head of Finance is also responsible for reporting accurate financial information in compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (“GAAP”) and more generally for Coinbase EMEA entities’ financial condition. The Head of Finance will be responsible for the companies’ economic and financial forecasting and planning and will report to the Chief Executive Officer of Coinbase Ireland (“CEO”), and work closely with the Country Managers in Germany and the UK and the Global Corporate Controller in the US.
We are looking for a candidate who has a positive attitude and is highly motivated to learn and grow within the organization, with a proven ability to thrive in a fast paced multi-task oriented environment. This position will play a crucial role in meeting our regulatory, financial and tax reporting obligations in EMEA. You will work and collaborate closely with many stakeholders across the organization, including regulatory compliance, finance, and data, tax, treasury and operations
This role is a pre-approval controlled function (“PCF”) as defined in Section 21 of the Central Bank Reform Act, 2010: PCF-11 Head of Finance. All PCF candidates must satisfy Fitness and Probity requirements as specified by Coinbase Ireland and the Central Bank of Ireland before they can be formally appointed to the role.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Work with the CEO’s and Global Corporate Controller to develop a strategic plan for the Coinbase EMEA entities to maximize shareholder value and make recommendations to the Coinbase EMEA entities’ Boards for review and approval
- Ensure the development and effective implementation of an annual operating plan including business plans, operational requirements, organizational structure, staffing and budgets that support the strategic plan and recommend the annual operating plan to the Boards for review and approval
- Ensure that the Coinbase EMEA entities satisfy any ongoing capital requirements and maintain adequate arrangements to safeguard the funds of Coinbase Ireland’s and Coinbase Payments’ customers in accordance with legal and regulatory requirements
- Effective supervision and management of the day-to-day financial and accounting affairs of the Coinbase EMEA entities, including supporting Group finance team in the United States, within the guidelines established by the Boards, consistent with decisions requiring prior approval of the Board and the Board’s expectations of management
- Communicate regularly with the Boards and senior management on material financial and accounting matters affecting the Coinbase EMEA entities and ensure responsibilities are being fully complied with and that Directors are being provided with information necessary to fulfill their responsibilities and statutory obligations
- Maintain proper books of account and ensure they correctly record and explain the transactions of the Coinbase EMEA entities and at any time, enable the financial position of the Coinbase EMEA entities to be determined with reasonable accuracy, that the balance sheet and profit and loss account comply with all applicable accounting standards, and enable the accounts to be readily and properly audited
- Ensure the Coinbase EMEA entities’ financial reports comply with all regulatory requirements and are prepared efficiently and accurately and submitted to the Central Bank of Ireland, Companies House, BaFin, Bundesbank, FCA and any other regulatory or oversight body, at the frequency specified to the Coinbase EMEA entities and within the specified timeframes
- Maintain awareness of standards of conduct through regular consultation with the business and external information providers
- Keep abreast of both recommended and mandatory financial and compliance practices and in particular take into account the requirements of the European Communities (Electronic Money) Regulations 2011, as amended; European Union (Payment Services) Regulations 2018; Central Bank’s Industry Funding Levy; various reporting requirements of the Central Bank and BaFin; and Companies Act 2014
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- A professional finance qualification, and membership of a recognised professional body, is a prerequisite (ACA, GCA, CMA, ACCA, or CPA with experience in senior management)
- 10+ years of experience in a finance role within a regulated financial services business
- Current or previous PCF-11 Central Bank of Ireland approved person would be an advantage
- Current or previous experience working with the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)
- BaFin regulated regulatory reporting experience
- RechKredV experience
- Effective written and verbal communication skills in German
- Ability to work collaboratively with a broad range of business functions, with an emphasis on senior management and a track record of performing in a management role. Project management experience is desirable but not essential.
- Excellent oral and written communication – fluency in English is a key requirement
- Track record of building strong relationships with boards, senior management and regulators
- Capacity to meet deadlines while maintaining quality standards and effective time management
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment within a high growth business
Nice to haves:
- Experience in crypto industry
- ERP systems experience, preferably in NetSuite
- Experience with Coupa, FloQast and Jira
- High proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Google Suite