Our mission is to accelerate the adoption of cryptocurrency so that you and the rest of the world can achieve financial freedom and inclusion. Founded in 2011 and with over 4 million clients, Kraken is one of the world’s largest, most successful bitcoin exchanges and we’re growing faster than ever. Our range of successful products are playing an important role in the mainstream adoption of crypto assets. We attract people who constantly push themselves to think differently and chart exciting new paths in a rapidly growing industry. Kraken is a diverse group of dreamers and doers who see value in being radically transparent. Let’s change the way the world thinks about money! Join the revolution!
The Head of Internal Audit is responsible for the assurance of effective controls, risk management and management controls over operations, reliability of financial reporting, and compliance with laws and regulations. The Head of Internal Audit is responsible for the supervision of internal audit staff, the development and execution of internal audit programs, and the presentation of the audit results to the Board of Directors.
This role is a full-time, remote role and may be located in Canada or the U.S.
- Oversee the planning, organization, direction, and control of internal audits for the Company; develop risk based audit objectives, design audit programs and schedules.
- Be the third line of defense by testing and validating the documented controls and workflows.
- Ensure audit programs achieve objectives to safeguard the Company’s and Customers’ assets and ensure compliance with and stays informed of all policies, procedures, federal and state laws/regulations applicable to the job.
- Make recommendations to management to mitigate risk in the areas of preventative actions, policies, procedures, documentation, or capitalizing upon other opportunities where the Company can improve upon its operations and internal control.
- Work closely with various stakeholders to provide consultation and best practice advice with respect to operations, financial accounting, and internal controls.
- Ensure that high risk products, services and processes of the Company are audited on a regular basis.
- Coordinate audit plans or programs with external audit firms or regulatory examiners.
- Maintain accurate and current audit procedures, programs and related documentation.
- Review weaknesses identified by internal auditors, external auditors, and examiners to ensure management’s corrective action is appropriate and effective.
- Ensure that high standards of examination are followed in order to provide professional audit coverage.
- Seek ways to improve the Company’s internal audit practice, audit program approaches, audit efficiencies, and ongoing effectiveness.
- Ensure that the proper level of staff training including professional certifications is maintained in order to comply with audit standards. Engage in a co-sourcing relationship in additional resources and/or expertise in is necessary to complete the audit plan.
- Maintain advanced knowledge and awareness of financial services industry audit control and trends.
- Oversee special projects and/or investigations as they arise.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Management, Accounting, Information Systems, or related degree. A graduate degree is preferred.
- 8+ years of progressive business professional experience in internal audit and external audits.
- Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA), Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or other relevant professional certification are desirable.
- Knowledge of Retail Banking or Brokers and applicable regulatory requirements.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to provide leadership, supervision and training for one or more employees using positive supervisory techniques to ensure maximum productivity; demonstrated ability in organization and delegation skills.
- Experience preparing and presenting internal audit findings to the Board of Directors and executives.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual will be proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Google Drive products.
- High attention to detail along with excellent problem solving and analytical skills.
- Professional exposure to the Crypto industry highly desirable.
- Strong interpersonal skills for interfacing with all levels of Internal Audit and business management.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret complex documents. Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations. Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries from business units, board of directors, management, or regulatory agencies.
- Ability to effectively present information to senior management and the Board of Directors.
- Sound independent judgment and a proven reputation and track record for acting with complete confidentiality and the highest integrity and professionalism.
- Strong leadership skills with a proven track record in managing teams and making a positive impact on the organization.