Coinbase has built the world’s leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 30 million accounts in more than 50 countries. With the success of our flagship product, Coinbase Consumer, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are now proud to offer an entire suite of products that make accessing cryptocurrencies easy and secure, in addition to new products that operate at the frontiers of crypto and blockchain.
Coinbase is seeking a Head of Tax Information Reporting to lead this exciting and emerging area of the crypto economy. This role will partner with product and engineering teams to provide insight and technical guidance on product offerings. It will advise on and spearhead operational compliance to ensure compliance with customer onboarding, withholding, information reporting and other related tax requirements. This role will collaborate with company finance and business partners, and manage external service providers and consultants where necessary.
What you’ll be doing:
- Review, analyze and interpret tax information reporting rules.
- Collaborate with product teams to define and implement tax business requirements.
- Research and respond to internal day-to-day questions (e.g., questions regarding character of payments, tax documentation, client types, requirements related to complex transactions and structures, new business activities and new jurisdictions)
- Provide practical guidance and feedback to internal teams to assist in the development and implementation of efficient operational processes to support information reporting compliance.
- Design and drive annual information reporting compliance data gathering, file preparations and uploads to ensure timely distribution of forms, including but not limited to Forms 1099-B, 1099-K, 1099-MISC, 1042 / 1042-S, 945, and 8966.
- Perform detailed reviews of reporting data to correct for obvious errors and identify missing tax identification numbers.
What we look for in you:
- 10 + years of experience
- Strong understanding of US tax rules and associated exposures around information reporting and back-up withholding, and the ability to apply the rules to new situations. Global tax reporting experience a plus.
- Knowledgeable about US withholding tax rules, and the ability to apply the rules to new situations.
- Solid grasp of FATCA rules, and the ability to apply the rules to new situations. CRS reporting experience a plus.
- Ability to create and operate in a control environment to ensure timely and accurate compliance
- Passion for data integrity and attention to detail, and the ability to comprehend data sets and ways to parse and move them.
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Coinbase does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state or federal law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in a manner consistent with San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance and similar local laws.