In June 2019, the Libra Association announced plans for Libra – a new global cryptocurrency that runs on the Libra network. Libra’s mission is to create a simple global financial infrastructure that empowers billions of people around the world. It’s powered by blockchain technology and the plan is to launch it in 2020.
Calibra is a newly formed Facebook subsidiary whose goal is to provide financial services that will enable people to access and participate in the Libra network. Our first product will be a digital wallet for Libra, a new global currency powered by blockchain technology, and it will be available in 2020 in Messenger, WhatsApp, and as a standalone app. Our vision is to reinvent money and transform the global economy so people everywhere can live better lives. Calibra will let you send Libra to almost anyone with a smartphone, as easily and instantly as you might send a text message or photo, and at low to no cost. And, in time, we plan to offer additional services for people and businesses, such as paying bills with the push of a button, buying a cup of coffee with the scan of a code, or riding your local public transit without needing to carry cash or a metro pass.
We’re still early in the process of developing Calibra, and are looking for talented, passionate, mission-driven people to join our team so we can build a future together that empowers billions of people around the world.
LEAD COMMERCIAL COUNSEL, BLOCKCHAIN RESPONSIBILITIES
- Draft and negotiate a variety of complex agreements on behalf of the partnerships and business development teams of Calibra, Facebook’s blockchain initiative
- Provide legal and strategic business advice to help develop a comprehensive, long-term approach to the commercial aspects of our products and programs
- Commercial transaction support for other departments and initiatives as required
- Willingness and ability to manage numerous deals, meet tight deadlines, and work extended hours when necessary to complete project
- Open to travel as and when required
- D. (or foreign equivalent) with membership in at least one U.S. state bar
- 5+ years of legal experience (either in-house and/or at a law firm), with experience in technology transactions
- Experience drafting agreements with technology companies and financial institutions and leading contract negotiations
- Experience advising clients and managing deals on deadlines with minimal supervision
- Experience building relationships and collaborating cross-functionally with business teams and other members of the legal team (regulatory, product, privacy, etc.) to ensure business needs are met
- Background in fintech and/or blockchain and experience with the legal issues arising from fintech and/or blockchain applications
- Excellent legal judgment and outstanding communication skills
Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we’re just getting started.
Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at [email protected].