Protocol Labs drives breakthroughs in computing to push humanity forward. Protocol Labs is a product-development lab, but behind the protocols and tools we build, behind the research and implementations, are passionate people, teammates, and community members. Most teams in the Protocol Labs Network are fully distributed and work remotely around the world. Engineers, researchers, and operators work in the open to improve the internet — humanity’s most important technology — as we explore new advances at the intersection of many exciting fields (web3, cryptography, networks, distributed systems) and cultures (startups, research, open-source, distributed work).
As the Tax Manager, you will have overall responsibility for federal, state & local and international tax compliance, manage the preparation of the Company’s tax provision, manage any tax audits, and support employment tax matters. As a key member of the Finance team, you will be expected to take a hands-on role in the company’s tax matters.
The person in this role will report to the Global Head of Tax, and interact with senior management and colleagues in Accounting, FP&A, Legal and PeopleOps to identify opportunities to manage the company’s effective tax rate, sharing of best practices, and standardization of processes and reporting.
Other responsibilities include:
- Preparation of international, federal and state tax returns, quarterly estimates and annual extensions
- Preparation of GST and VAT returns
- Assisting with calculation and review of the company’s tax provision
- Integrating tax compliance and provision software and systems
- Managing any tax audits
- Managing the preparation of the R&D tax credit study
- Managing the transfer pricing policy and process
- Assisting with tax planning strategies
- Performing research, coordinating special projects and advising management regarding the tax impact of potential transactions
- Ensuring the company’s compliance with all accounting policies
- Supporting corporate structuring projects to support global growth
- Automating the compliance and provision process where practicable
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
- JD or Masters in Taxation preferred
Minimum Type Of Experience The Job Requires
- Minimum of 10 years of tax experience with a Big Four Accounting firm or a combination of Big 4 and private industry tax experience
- Self-starter required
- Experience with CorpTax preferred
- Experience with financial services or emerging technology companies preferred
- Experience with digital assets preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong operational and systems acumen
- Strong attention to detail
If you’re passionate about the future of computing and a more democratized internet, we want to talk to you.