Hedera is the decentralized governing body for the Hedera network, an enterprise-grade public distributed ledger technology (DLT) network that’s fast, environmentally sustainable, and secure, making it well-suited to become an integral layer of the emerging web3 world.
Hedera is governed by a diverse group of world-leading institutions distributed across six continents, representing multiple industries, including technology, banking, financial services, web3, education, legal services, gaming, aerospace, and manufacturing. The vision for the Hedera network is to support a trusted, empowered, and decentralized digital future for everyone; cyberspace where you work, play, buy, sell, create, and engage socially; where you have safety and privacy in your digital communities; where you feel confident when interacting with others; where you own and control your information. Hedera brings together some of the best minds in the industry.
We are proud of our high-quality culture and dedicated to values of integrity, ethics, service, excellence, and teamwork. We are looking for hard-working, talented, and collegial people to help achieve this vision. Join us and say, “Hello future.”
About the VP Finance and Operations role
Come and join a small but “mighty” finance team. For the VP of Finance role, we are looking for an independent and hard-working person driven by rigor and intellectual curiosity with an analytical and methodical mindset. You have excellent communication, analytical skills, organizational abilities, and leadership capabilities.
You are considered a coach, leader, and mediator by your peers, and you have demonstrated great interpersonal capabilities. You are a key team player, going the extra length to support the organization and help colleagues.
Your colleagues are impressed with your professional competence in finance and accounting. You have a very efficient and organized way of working with high-capacity individuals with highly developed skills in prioritization and timing. Attention to detail is of utmost importance, and data-driving focus is one of your superpowers, among others.
- Partner with and report to the CFO to support all finance and accounting-related activities (both fiat and crypto) for Hedera.
- Organize, manage, and supervise statutory tax reporting and closely work with a tax advisor to complete Nexus analysis, among other key tax activities.
- Proactively identify and provide insight into variances to forecast, budget, and historical expenses to improve fiat and crypto.
- Work closely with department heads to monitor each department’s spend, communicate budget to actual analysis, and complete re-forecasting.
- Support all activities related to financial audits and treasury management as needed.
- Lead the project management operations for Finance and be part of the overall PMO group at Hedera, reporting on a dotted line to the Chief of Staff.
- Collaborate to build, set up, review, and optimize the department rules, framework, procedures, policies, and workflows.
- Design and establish proactive frameworks in collaboration with Legal and Compliance to ensure the fulfillment of our liabilities.
- Enhance and implement financial and accounting systems, processes, tools, and control systems and ensure maintenance of appropriate internal controls and financial procedures.
- Build and/or support accounting data interfaces to facilitate regular KPI reporting (internal and external).
- Collaborate with the accounting team to continue to automate processes and ensure the timely close of month-end and year-end activities.
- Together with the CFO, manage stakeholder relationships with and support TPA and SAFT purchasers.
- Build an understanding of business challenges, and become a subject matter expert in providing additional insights and solutions to internal and external stakeholders.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with internal and external business partners and cross-functional teams with Council members, strategic vendors, and partners, and throughout the organization.
- Manage the annual budgeting process for Hedera and with critical vendors.
- Ability to travel both domestically and internationally for council meetings as required.
- Manage 1 or 2 individual contributors and coach them to bring the best out of them.
- Minimum ten years of Accounting, Treasury, or FP&A experience, preferably in financial services.
- Start-up experience setting structures and scaling them.
- Experience building an automated FP&A model for forecasting and projections.
- Experience presenting budgets and forecasts to senior management and external parties.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively document and articulate business issues in a timely and professional manner.
- Effective communicator, both written and oral.
- Strong attention to detail in assessing financial information.
- Knowledge of a wide range of reporting software (ERPs, expense management tools, TMS, etc.).
- Post-secondary degree in a business or finance discipline (e.g., MBA or CFA).
- Minimum five years working in a SaaS, Crypto, Technology, or Financial Services Company.
- Working experience working in Crypto exchange, Web3, or layer 1.
- Coding and programming experience (e.g., SQL).
- Capital market experience.
- Experience managing a remote team.
- Ability to adapt and learn new processes and tasks.
- Excellent organizational and prioritization skills.
- Remote, willing to travel occasionally.