SDF seeks an established engineering and technology leader to join their team as VP Engineering. As a key member of the executive team, the VP Engineering will lead the technical evolution and scale-up of SDF’s platform and the Stellar network.
- Assess, build relationships with, and earn the respect of the current team, while also continuing to attract talent and scale a world-class, diverse engineering organization based on established network and experience.
- Empower and learn from members of the engineering team. Lead, mentor, and elevate the skills and capabilities of the team, and ensure retention of Tier-1 talent through a culture of camaraderie, collaboration, innovation, and engineering best practices.
- From a technology perspective, evangelize SDF’s revolutionary platform and the Stellar network, both externally (with partners, customers, and end-users) and internally, and continue nurturing thought leadership in the industry.
- Bring discipline and process improvement to the organization, delivering the technical roadmap on time with quality, focusing on usability, and ensure that the network is scalable, flexible, reliable, and secure.
- Flawless execution; on a tactical level, streamline and drive efficiency/cohesion in the engineering organization. Ensure visibility and predictability around engineering processes, systems, etc. Make engineering a scalable and well oiled machine that delivers on-time and to customer/user requirements.
- Act as the engineering organization’s “mission driven leader;” bring high energy, enthusiasm, and a positive, can-do attitude to the team. Lead the team through hands-on example and personal passion for SDF’s mission.
- As a member of the senior leadership team at SDF, collaborate cross functionally with peers to set overall direction and help lead the organization through increasing scale-up and ongoing operations.
Desired Experience and Expertise
- 10+ years experience as an elite-level contributor in the software and technology world.
- Proven track record of building and leading strong engineering teams recognized for high productivity, excellent morale, and low turnover in complex and rapidly evolving environments.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, hands-on environment; can simultaneously demonstrate strategic, big-picture thinking as well as tactical attention to detail. Proven success developing and delivering complex, scalable, and highly reliable solutions.
- Prior experience as VP or Sr. Director of Engineering/Development at an established, high-growth technology company. Ideally has served as Head of Engineering in a successful, dynamic startup (startup experience is highly desired).
- Experience developing and delivering complex, highly scalable, end-to-end cloud-based solutions and/or services (both platform and front-end / applications) for the Enterprise. Technical expertise in relevant industries including blockchain, cryptocurrency, fintech or payments is considered a plus.
- Strong presence; good communicator and highly influential both externally as well as internally at the senior management level.
- Technical, hands-on, and willing to roll up the sleeves to support the team as needed.
- BS, MS, and/or PhD in Computer Science or Computer Engineering is preferred.
Other Qualities and Characteristics
- Clearly an organizational leader that brings both strategic and tactical capabilities. Able to earn the respect of the team on the basis of crisp execution, technical depth, hands-on style, and decision making ability.
- Metrics and data driven. Ability to think strategically and analytically to help solve complex business challenges under pressure.
- Creative problem solving skills, and the ability to ignite the creativity of others. Driven to succeed, achievement oriented, self-motivated.
- Directs and inspires people to generate and implement breakthrough solutions. Not afraid to take calculated risks; brings a mentality of rapid innovation and the desire to attain big goals.
- High integrity, principles, and ethics. Values diversity of talent and thought in building teams.
Stellar is a decentralized, fast, scalable, and uniquely sustainable network for financial products and services. It is both a cross-currency transaction system and a platform for digital asset issuance, designed to connect the world’s financial infrastructure. Dozens of financial institutions worldwide issue assets and settle payments on the Stellar network, which has grown to over 4 million accounts.
About the Stellar Development Foundation
The Stellar Development Foundation (SDF) is a non-profit organization that supports the development and growth of Stellar, an open-source network that connects the world’s financial infrastructure. Founded in 2014, the Foundation helps maintain Stellar’s codebase, supports the technical and business communities building on the network, and serves as a voice to regulators and institutions. The Foundation seeks to create equitable access to the global financial system, using the Stellar network to unlock the world’s economic potential through blockchain technology.
We look forward to hearing from you!