Founded in 2012, Bitfinex is a digital asset trading platform offering state-of-the-art services for digital currency traders and global liquidity providers. We’re on a mission to create the most innovative cryptocurrencies exchange. This is a unique opportunity, a rare window of time at the tipping point of financial evolution. Much like the early days of the internet, blockchain technology faces complex new challenges and having the best team plays a pivotal role in success.
Our team is fully remote and globally distributed to capture the best talent from around the world. So far our company has grown fast and stayed lean to secure its place as a leader in the space.
If you get excited about being in an industry that is breaking new ground and have confidence you can conquer the most challenging feats we’ll encounter, we want to talk to you. Join us, and help lay the foundation for a decentralized future.
Currently looking for:
Head of Internal Audit
The successful candidate will be responsible for the continuing development of the internal audit function of Bitfinex and its affiliates. Audit assignments will include operational, financial, and internal controls audits across the Bitfinex Group. The candidate will utilise a risk based approach when executing the annual audit plan based on an understanding of the risks to which the company is exposed. We are looking for someone who not only has solid technical experience, but also coaches their team by creating a motivating and inspiring atmosphere that promotes a trusted-partner approach with the broader business. The role will be accountable for developing the audit programs, engaging internal and external stakeholders to ensure the audit is executed within specified timelines.
This role is ideally suited for someone who is excited by the opportunity to apply their existing audit experience in a dynamic business environment. To succeed in this role, the incumbent will continuously strive to self-develop and enhance their skill sets including understanding the Company’s products and services, blockchain technology, virtual currencies, and best internal audit practices.
A strong understanding of the Company’s platform and products and services is required.
- Lead the Internal Audit function and execute audits from planning to reporting, producing quality deliverables to both department and professional standards while ensuring audits are completed timely and within budget.
- Engage with stakeholders, business management, other control groups (i.e. risk management, compliance, fraud prevention), external auditors, and regulators establishing strong working relationships while maintaining independence.
- Identify emerging control issues early and report them timely to management.
- Mentor, develop, and support the Internal Audit Team.
- Prepare and submit final audit reports to the Senior Leadership Team and Audit Committee to discuss areas of risk identified, process weaknesses, the recommendations to mitigate them, and strengthen internal controls.
- Evaluate the related action plans and process improvement opportunities with each department.
- Manage the audit findings log to ensure appropriate Internal Audit follow-up with management to implement satisfactory management action plans.
- Escalate discrepancies directly with management to determine the reasonableness and appropriateness of remediation plans when needed.
- Monitor agreed upon recommendations to ensure they are implemented.
- Stay up to date with evolving industry/regulatory changes impacting the business and participate in appropriate control forums.
- Conduct miscellaneous initiatives as required.
- High attention to detail and excellent analytical and research skills.
- Keen understanding or appetite to learn more about the crypto industry and available products.
- Experienced in planning and managing internal audit / internal controls testing strategies and assessing results
- Strong understanding of risk and control concepts with the ability to evaluate and determine the adequacy of controls by considering business and technology risks in an integrated manner.
- Sound consultation and interpersonal skills, ability to prioritize and multi-task, and strong organizational skills
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills
- Spanish written and verbal communication skills are a plus
- Team Player with the ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment and within a small team setting.
- Exceptional work ethics and a keen understanding of the confidential nature of Internal Audit communications and access to information.
- Ability to build relationships both internally and externally.
- Bachelor’s degree (preferred)
- Previous professional experience (ideally minimum of 5 years) in internal audit / risk management / internal control / compliance in the financial services industry (for example, within a financial institution or consulting firm providing such services).
- CIA, or professional audit designation (CPA, ACCA, CISA, etc.) (preferred)
- Experience with Agile Auditing and Data Analytics is a plus.
- Knowledge of the cryptocurrency / blockchain space is a plus.