Empower the Individual Through Crypto
Gemini is a global crypto and Web3 platform founded by Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss in 2014. Gemini offers a wide range of crypto products and services for individuals and institutions in over 70 countries.
Crypto is about giving you greater choice, independence, and opportunity. We are here to help you on your journey. We build crypto products that are simple, elegant, and secure. Whether you are an individual or an institution, we want to help you buy, sell, and store your bitcoin and cryptocurrency. Crypto is not just a technology, it’s a movement.
At Gemini, our mission is to empower the individual and that includes giving our employees flexibility of choice — our Office Optional Policy allows employees to choose to work from one of our physical locations or from home.
The Department: Risk
At Gemini, our Risk function plays a critical role in proactively identifying, assessing, responding to, and communicating Gemini’s exposure, both internally and externally. Gemini is building a robust second line of defense in a first-of-its kind industry; our goal: safeguard Gemini and our users so that we can continue to empower the individual through crypto.
The Role: Head of Risk
Gemini is looking for a Head of Risk who will lead and execute a global risk management strategy for the organization. The Head of Risk at Gemini plays a pivotal role in ensuring the organization’s stability and growth in a rapidly evolving and dynamic environment. This leader will work closely with every department across the organization.
- Recommend, build, and implement enterprise risk management and mitigation strategies and ensure they meet regulatory requirements
- Ensure risk management approach adheres to the Company’s risk appetite
- Conduct relevant enterprise risk assessments, including new product assessments
- Facilitate relevant external assessments, such as annual SOC 1 and SOC 2 examinations
- Manage the Company’s insurance policies in alignment with enterprise risk management framework
- Work closely with key stakeholders to understand the business requirements for products and services, develop effective working relationships with risk owners, and ensure risks related to products and services are understood by Senior Management
- Provide regular reporting to Senior Management and the Board detailing risk exposures and performance against risk appetite to facilitate decision-making
- Set mission, vision, and goals for the Risk team. Develop, lead, and motivate the Risk team to maximize effectiveness and deliver on goals
- Foster innovation and drive enhanced efficiency in all Risk processes
- Provide proactive and practical risk management advice to key stakeholders
- Keep abreast of key developments in the global risk landscape
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, economics, business, or a related field
- 12+ years of experience in risk management, with a background in financial services or cryptocurrency-related industries
- Knowledge of blockchain technology, cryptocurrencies, and the broader financial markets
- Understanding of regulatory frameworks and compliance requirements in the financial technology space
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to liaise with external regulators and auditors
- Leadership experience and the ability to manage and mentor a team of risk professionals
- Risk management experience in the Cryptocurrency industry
- Strong project management skills
- Experience with selection and ongoing monitoring of critical vendor relationships
- Experience in credit risk management
- Competitive starting salary
- A discretionary annual bonus
- Long-term incentive in the form of a new hire equity grant
- Comprehensive health plans
- 401K with company matching
- Annual Learning & Development stipend
- Paid Parental Leave
- Flexible time off
Salary Range: The base salary range for this role is between $209,000 – $293,000 in the State of New York, the State of California and the State of Washington. This range is not inclusive of our discretionary bonus or equity package. When determining a candidate’s compensation, we consider a number of factors including skillset, experience, job scope, and current market data.
At Gemini, we strive to build diverse teams that reflect the people we want to empower through our products, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. Equal Opportunity is the Law, and Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. If you have a specific need that requires accommodation, please let a member of the People Team know.